G10 Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Details on book format

5 posters

Go down

Details on book format Empty Details on book format

Post  Whig Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:58 pm

This is where we'll have the final ins-and-outs of the books to use as a guide.
Whig
Whig
Admin

https://g10writers.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Details on book format Empty Chapter Titles

Post  cvalin Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Since I haven't been ablet to make the meetings for many and varied reasons, I thought I'd bring this up here. Is the title of the book going to be Therapy Sucks? I love the idea, and I know it's the working title, but I wasn't sure if that was final.

If so, I'd like to suggest that we each title our chapters "[Whatever] Sucks."

I got the idea while thinking about how my character's story relates to two Tom Petty songs: "Free Falling" ("The vampires...walking throught the Valley...move west down...Ventura Blvd...") and "Learning to Fly" (for obvious reasons).

So I thought about calling my chapter "Tom Petty Sucks."
cvalin
cvalin

http://christophervalin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Details on book format Empty Re: Details on book format

Post  tribblemaker Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Nice! I've always liked "Therapy Sucks" as a title. I think it's very clever, and it speaks to us not taking this too seriously. Unless anyone has a better idea, I say we go with it.

I also like the chapter title suggestion, but is your thought process going to be clear to the reader? In other words, I know that your subject matter makes you think of Tom Petty, but is Tom Petty mentioned in the chapter, or will the reader have to make that leap for him/herself?
tribblemaker
tribblemaker

Back to top Go down

Details on book format Empty Chapter Titles

Post  cvalin Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

I've been trying to figure out a way to work it in without using the song lyrics, since that infringes on the copyright (I know we discussed this with the first project, but I've since discovered it's even a bigger deal than we thought).

I go back and forth on whether I like "mysterious" titles or not. I'm pretty sure that when I figure one out I tend to find it's clever because I'm "in" on it. But when I can't figure out what a title means, I think it's stupid (probably because I feel stupid for not being able to figure it out).
cvalin
cvalin

http://christophervalin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Details on book format Empty Titles

Post  MickeyD Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

I love Therapy Sucks for the title of the book, too. I say go for it.

I wasn't sure what you meant about the chapter titles, though. At first I thought you meant "(Whatever neurosis) Sucks," but I don't think that was it. I'm not familiar with those songs, so the Tom Petty title went over my head. It may be that way for others.

Last edited by MickeyD on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
MickeyD
MickeyD

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Essary Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I love the title of the book. It made me laugh out loud when I first read it, and I definitely think it's a keeper. However, I think naming each chapter title the same way sucks the life out of the title. (Pun definitely intended.) I can see a reason for doing it--It would certainly make the book cohesive. If you guys love the idea, I'll certainly go with it. But as it stands, especially with this being a project that is meant to showcase many writing styles, I would prefer complete freedom with my chapter title.
Natalie Essary
Natalie Essary

http://helluvaluxe.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Essary Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:52 pm

I have another question about the format.

Mickey's chapter (the first posted) is structured as if you're reading the therapist's notes, almost as if it were taken from dictation. I think it's an excellent idea. It lends itself to first person narrative, which is how I tend to write. I was wondering if this is what everyone else is doing, or if some of you will be writing from other perspectives... Thoughts?
Natalie Essary
Natalie Essary

http://helluvaluxe.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum