G10 Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Un-freakin-believeable!!!!!

2 posters

Go down

Un-freakin-believeable!!!!! Empty Un-freakin-believeable!!!!!

Post  dgtrekker Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Okay today's quiz for my class was Bias-Free Language

Definition: When writing, you must avoid all types of biased language. Biased language falls under several categories—including sexist, racist, culturally biased, or ageist—and can be intentional or unintentional, general or specific, explicit or implicit. Avoiding bias in language is closely related to avoiding stereotypes.

Examples

Historically, writing has reflected a bias toward males: chairman and mailman. Pronouns were also biased toward males: the author – he, the scientist – he, the worker – he. Now, writers are more careful. They use chair or chairperson instead of chairman, letter carrier instead of mailman, and humankind instead of mankind. Here are some other suggestions for removing bias.

With Bias Without Bias
Layman Layperson
Forefather Forebear, ancestor
Spokesman Spokesperson
Policeman Police officer
Manpower Workforce, personnel
Salesman, saleslady Salesperson
Housewife Homemaker

Are you frickin' kiddin' me????

dgtrekker
dgtrekker

Back to top Go down

Un-freakin-believeable!!!!! Empty Re: Un-freakin-believeable!!!!!

Post  moonunit Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 am

Don't forget firefighter and flight attendant!

Actually, once you get used to it, it's not that bizarre to go for the unbiased term. Luckily, "writer" and "editor" and "author" are all ok to describe males and females already, so we're covered here at G10... Smile

(But I have noticed that when I say "cousin" most people assume male first, even though the term historically means either gender. Discuss.)
moonunit
moonunit

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum